Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow Day Food: Cinnamon Bread French Toast

When you know that a snow day is coming, then you can plan ahead. By buying cinnamon swirl bread specifically for french toast.

Ingredients
  • Cinnamon swirl bread (I bought Peppridge Farm brand, without raisins)*
  • 6 Tbsp butter (I use salted butter, but lower the amount of salt I add later.)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon (I like Penzey's cinnamon. I used a combination of their Vietnamese Extra Fancy, Cassia, and Ceylon.)*
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup flour

Directions
  1. Lightly toast the bread in a 200 degree oven or a toaster. You just want to dry it, not brown it. No, I didn't set it out on the counter overnight (we have cats) or wait for it to go stale. 
  2. Whisk everything  minus the bread together in a bowl and pour into a flat dish. I used an 8" square baking pan.
  3. Heat your griddle on the pancake setting or a non-stick frying pan over medium to medium-high heat. I use about 375 on my current griddle, but my previous one needed 325 for the same effect, so YMMV.
  4. Spray the hot griddle with butter-flavor spray or melt actual butter on it. My griddle needed almost nothing.
  5. Dip both sides of each piece of bread into the egg/milk/flour mixture and cook on the hot griddle. Don't soak them for too long or they will fall apart :)
  6. Once the bottom of each piece of bread is lightly browned, flip and cook the other side.
  7. Cut the slices diagonally into triangles and serve. I had enough milk for about 9 or 10 slices.
I don't much care for syrup on french toast, so I sprinkled mine with powdered sugar. Some toasted pecans would have been really good here too.


*Notes, yes, I'm brand-dropping here. I haven't ruled out accepting ads or freebies or money for promoting items. But I haven't yet, so today's brand-drops are all about yummy french toast

No comments: