- Cinnamon swirl bread (I bought Peppridge Farm brand, without raisins)*
- 6 Tbsp butter (I use salted butter, but lower the amount of salt I add later.)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon (I like Penzey's cinnamon. I used a combination of their Vietnamese Extra Fancy, Cassia, and Ceylon.)*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- Lightly toast the bread in a 200 degree oven or a toaster. You just want to dry it, not brown it. No, I didn't set it out on the counter overnight (we have cats) or wait for it to go stale.
- Whisk everything minus the bread together in a bowl and pour into a flat dish. I used an 8" square baking pan.
- Heat your griddle on the pancake setting or a non-stick frying pan over medium to medium-high heat. I use about 375 on my current griddle, but my previous one needed 325 for the same effect, so YMMV.
- Spray the hot griddle with butter-flavor spray or melt actual butter on it. My griddle needed almost nothing.
- Dip both sides of each piece of bread into the egg/milk/flour mixture and cook on the hot griddle. Don't soak them for too long or they will fall apart :)
- Once the bottom of each piece of bread is lightly browned, flip and cook the other side.
- Cut the slices diagonally into triangles and serve. I had enough milk for about 9 or 10 slices.
*Notes, yes, I'm brand-dropping here. I haven't ruled out accepting ads or freebies or money for promoting items. But I haven't yet, so today's brand-drops are all about yummy french toast