Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cheesy Corn Muffins

Back in the mid-2000's B.K. (Before Kids), I was good at halving and quartering recipes so that my husband and I didn't have to choose between overeating on baked treats or wasting perishable food. Now that we have two more mouths, I still find that my smaller recipes work well to make just enough of some dishes without leaving leftovers. I'm sure things will change as my kids (and their appetites) grow.

This corn muffin recipe easily doubles to make a dozen muffins. You can leave out the cheese for plain-ol cornbread, or halve the sugar if you prefer your bread less sweet. If I'd had some leftover cooked bacon on hand, I might have stirred that in as well (but who ever has leftover bacon?).

These were the side to a quick pot of chili for dinner on a stormy April evening (yes, there is such a thing as a quick chili, maybe a post for another day).

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheese (I used a "Mexican" blend)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425. Grease the cups of a 6-cup muffin pan.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the milk, butter, and egg until well blended.
  4. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and stir with a spatula just until blended.
  5. Fold in the cheese.
  6. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Makes 6 muffins.

No comments: