This corn muffin recipe easily doubles to make a dozen muffins. You can leave out the cheese for plain-ol cornbread, or halve the sugar if you prefer your bread less sweet. If I'd had some leftover cooked bacon on hand, I might have stirred that in as well (but who ever has leftover bacon?).
These were the side to a quick pot of chili for dinner on a stormy April evening (yes, there is such a thing as a quick chili, maybe a post for another day).
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (I used a "Mexican" blend)
- Preheat oven to 425. Grease the cups of a 6-cup muffin pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the milk, butter, and egg until well blended.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and stir with a spatula just until blended.
- Fold in the cheese.
- Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Makes 6 muffins.