Crazy days call for simple comfort flavors, and this is blueberry season. Blueberry muffins are one of our favorites, and this recipe combines sweet fresh blueberries with the homey tang of buttermilk with a little moisture and texture from oatmeal.
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 7/8 cup buttermilk
- 1/13 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 400. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Stir the oats into the buttermilk and set them aside to soak.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg, melted butter, and orange zest. Stir in the oatmeal-buttermilk mixture.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry with a rubber spatula, just until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Distribute the batter between the muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake about 20 minutes until golden brown on the top.