This coffee cake recipe is a variant of one that my family has used for years, but with the spices in the cake instead of in the topping.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9" square baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, and salt.Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until it looks like crumbs. This will be the base for both the cake and the struesel topping.
- Remove 1/4 cup of the flour/butter/sugar mixture and set aside in a separate bowl. Add the nuts to the 1/2 cup struesel topping and toss together.
- To the large bowl, add the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a medium mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a whisk. Add the buttermilk and whisk until combined.
- Add the liquid ingredients all at once to the dry, and stir with a spatula until well mixed.
- Pour batter into the baking pan. Sprinkle the top with the struesel-nut topping.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.