All the cool people make their own breakfast cereal. From scratch. And it's super-healthy. Well, sort of. There is fat (oil) and sugar (2 kinds). But I bet you can pronounce every item in the ingredient list, and its easy to go organic.
- 3 cups 1-minute oats
- 2 cups rolled barley
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325. Line a large, deep baking sheet ("jelly roll" size) with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- In a very large mixing bowl, whisk syrup, sugar, oil, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the oats, barely, flaxseed, and nuts. Do NOT add the blueberries.
- Pour the oat and sugar mixture onto the baking pan, spread it evenly.
- Bake 40-45 minutes. Let cool about an hour in the pan. Break it into pieces and stir in the dried blueberries.
- Store in a cool, dry place. Makes about 9 cups (about 18 servings).