Oh. Wow. Talk about good. And easy. And really funny looking. You might not even need the rack, but it did help keep the chicken upright. Oh, and you might want to think about a poultry thermometer also. You stick one of those into the thigh of the bird before it goes on the heat, and follow the markings for your doneness level. They come in a steak version too. Those suckers are good in an indoor oven as well as on the grill.
- One whole chicken, gizards and neck (and whatever else comes packed in the little bag) removed.
- One 12oz can beer. We used Heineken.
- One granny smith apple
- One sprig fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Heat grill on high about 10-15 minutes and clean the grates.
- Drink half of the beer. (Or pour it out, but you want your can half full).
- Stick the sprig of rosemary into the opening on the can, put the can into the stand, and stuff the can+stand up the bottom of the chicken. Yes, it looks kinda pornographic. The beer makes it funnier.
- Carve the apple down until it is the right size to plug the neck cavity. This will keep the bear steam from escaping and also flavor the bird at the same time.
- Leave one burner on high and turn the rest off. Place the chicken over the side of the grill away from the heat (indirect), and roast about 60-70 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest about 10 minutes before taking it off the stand and slicing.