These are a sweet take on oatmeal cookies, with peanut M&M's for sweetness, crunch, and just a touch of protein. The cocoa flavor is good but not overpowering. I won't go so far as to say they're healthy, but the oatmeal makes me feel better about serving these after school :)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups peanut M&M's (about 2/3 of a bag)
- Preheat oven to 325. If you are making bar cookies, grease a large cake pan. If making drop cookies, line two cookies sheets with parchment or silicone liners. (I did both, so I greased a 8" square baking pan and lined a cookie sheet).
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Fit your stand mixer with a silicone-edged beater and blend butter and sugars. Add eggs one at a time, beating about 30 seconds on medium in between.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until well combined. Add the oats in several batches. If you don't have a nifty SideSwipe beater, remember to turn off the mixer and scrape down your bowl every now and then.
- Add the M&M's last and beat just until they are distributed (without the nifty beater, I suggest doing this by hand with a stiff spoon).
- Spread dough evenly in the greased pan, or drop by generous (palm-sized) balls onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake individual cookies about 22 minutes. Bars will take about 5-8 minutes longer.