This recipe makes about 1 quart of ice cream and you will need an ice cream maker.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 8 thin mint cookies, crushed
- Whisk milk, cream, 1/2 cup of sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir and warm until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture reaches about 175 degrees.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and remaining sugar.
- Temper the eggs by slowly whisking about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the eggs (off the heat so you're not scrambling the eggs!). Then slowly whisk the egg-milk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining cream.
- Cook over medium heat until hot but not simmering (about 180).
- Strain the cooked ice cream with a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Cool over ice about 10 minutes and then refrigerate until cold (several hours or overnight).
- Follow your ice cream maker instructions for freezing the ice cream. Just before the ice cream is finished, with the machine running, add the peppermint extract and cookies.