- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup shreeded sharp cheddar cheese
- pinch smoked spanish paprika
- pinch ground mustard
- sea salt
- fresh-cracked black pepper
- Boil macaroni according to package directions. Prepare the sauce while its going (the timing was spot-on for me)
- In a large non-stick skillet, fry the bacon until browned and crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan (save the grease! Emeril Lagasse would be proud! My family doctor would not!)
- Return the pan and hot bacon grease to a medium burner. With a silicone spatula, stir in the flour until it is lightly browned (goes pretty fast in hot bacon grease).
- Add milk and whisk quickly to distribute the flour. Cook over medium to med/low heat until the milk is thickened and bubbly (about 2-3 minutes, tops)
- Stir in the shredded cheese, a little at a time, waiting for it all to melt before adding more.
- Sprinkle in the paprika, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the cooked macaroni (no need to rinse), and toss in the cheese sauce.
Crumble in the cooked bacon and eat it quickly before guilt sets in.