Today's breakfast was inspired by leftovers we needed to eat up: hamburger buns from last weekend, pre-cooked sausage from a family pizza night, shredded cheese from a taco dinner...It took about five minutes to assemble last night, and the only prep time this morning was to pre-heat the oven. Plus, I am extra-proud of myself for coming up with a tasty, hearty recipe that isn't too fattening. According to CalorieCount.about.com, our breakfast clocks in just under 300 calories per large serving (4 servings from a 9x9 pan)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup pre-cooked turkey breakfast sausage crumbles
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
- 2 hamburger buns (or 4 hearty slices of bread)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- dash salt and pepper
- Cut the hamburger buns into 1/2 inch cubes and spread in a 9x9 pan. Sprinkle with sausage crumbles and half of the cheese.
- Whisk the milk, eggs, mustard powder, salt, and pepper together. Pour over the bread/sausage.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Pre-heat oven to 375. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes until thoroughly cooked. Remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of cooking to allow the cheese to brown.