Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes


 I have no idea why I haven't posted this recipe before, since it was one of the reasons I started this blog. Well, that and my kids' insatiable desire for pancakes. My recipe card is dated October 5, 2008, so I've been making these for a while.  I did make one tweak today from my original version and used melted butter instead of oil. They were delicious. And they are now gone.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter (or 2 tablespoons cooking oil)

Directions
  1. Heat griddle (mine is cast iron set over two burners turned to a smidge higher than medium...your settings may vary).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the dry ingredients (flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices).
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, canned pumpkin, and butter.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with a sturdy spatula just until combined.
  5. Lightly grease your griddle with oil or cooking spray (no spraying over an open flame please).
  6. Pour batter by 1/3 cup scoops (I use a soup ladle) onto heated griddle. Flip once the edges are dry and the bottom is lightly browned.
  7. These pancakes are pretty moist and sometimes need more time than normal ones.

Makes about 8 4-5" pancakes.

No comments: