- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 12-ounce beer*
*I used a Killian's Irish Red for this loaf, but it is also tasty made with Guiness. Also, feel free to adjust the recipe to 2 beers. If you do that, use one in the bread, as stated below, and enjoy the other while the bread bakes.
- Preheat oven to 375
- Grease a loaf pan
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients (flour, leaveners, spices) together.
- Add the cheese and stir to coat it evenly in the flour mixture.
- Pour in the beer.
- Stir with a heavy rubber spatula just until combined. Spread the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack about 10 minutes then remove from the loaf pan. Continue cooling or serve warm.