Saturday, May 7, 2011

Chocolate-filled Ebleskiver

Ebleskiver is a fancy word for a small round pancake puff. It is made in a pan that has small half-round indentations, like this one at Amazon.com:

(I found mine at Target for around $20).

Ebleskiver are easy to make and you can add a variety of fillings to them.  So far, my daughter prefers apple butter and my son prefers chocolate.  I may try small bits of cooked sausage next.

For the bread-part, use your favorite pancake batter (like my fluffy pancakes or maybe my triple chocolate pancakes or heck, even a boxed mix if you're in a hurry).

Preheat the pan over about medium heat until water sizzles and evaporates immediately. Whatever setting you'd use for pancakes. On my stove that's half a tick hotter than the middle (5.5).

These seem to cook best with butter, so I cut up butter into teeny-tiny cubes about 1/4" square. Drop one butter cube into each well on the pan. They should sizzle and foam immediately.  Then pour pancake batter into each well so that it's about 3/4 full.  Immediately follow with about a teaspoon of your filling. Hot fudge sauce, jelly or jam. Even blueberries (I'd suggest thawed ones, not frozen, since they won't have much time to cook).

Cook about 1or 2 minutes on the first side. Then comes the tricky part. To flip them you need two plastic spoons or the handle-end of a pair of rubber spatula or maybe a pair of chopsticks. Carefully flip them over and cook on the second side for another 1-2 minutes or so.

You can serve these with maple syrup like pancakes, or sprinkle with powdered sugar like I did with the chocolate batch above.

1 comment:

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

They look delicious! Fun pancakes, my family loves them. Now you've given me a craving!