Note that both today's cupcakes and yesterday's pancakes each took 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, leaving about 1/2 cup left in the can. Guess I have more baking to do...
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk and pumpkin.
- Fit a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (I have the Side Swipe, which I dearly love). Beat the butter, shortening, and sugar on low until well blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter/sugar mixture and beat well. Add the vanilla.
- Add about half of the dry ingredients to the mixer and beat until incorporated (about 15-20 seconds). Then add about half the buttermilk/pumpkin mixture and beat. Repeat with remaining dry and milk mixtures.
- Scrape down the bowl. Turn the mixer to medium and beat 1-2 minutes.
- Distribute among the 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake 18-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack about 5 minutes then remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Ice if desired and serve.